Everyone knows what sunburn feels like. It can be awful. Of course prevention is always better than a cure, but fortunately there are things you can do to heal your skin if you do get sunburned.
What should you do if your skin is sunburned?
The first sign of a sunburned skin is generally the red colour. The sunburn then develops for another 12 to 24 hours, which makes it important to take these steps as quickly as possible:
- Cool the burned skin over a few hours using cool, damp compresses or a bag of ice wrapped in a towel. This will help draw the heat from the skin and reduce redness. Carefully apply the Calm Toner.
- Apply a light night cream with healing ingredients (as long as there are no blisters on the skin).
- Make sure you get out of the sun right away, so go inside or find some shade. And drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration.
What shouldn’t you do?
- Do not place ice directly on your skin without a protective layer. It is too cold and can make the damage worse. Wrap the ice in a clean towel or dishcloth.
- Do not apply a thick balm, cream, or butter to sunburned skin. These products trap the heat.
- Do not use creams containing fragrances. These can lead to skin irritation.
- An aloe vera gel on its own is not enough: your sunburned skin requires a broader range of skin-repairing ingredients. You can use a night cream or a gel that also contains other moisture-regulating ingredients as well as aloe vera.
When should you see a doctor?
If you are badly burned, go to a doctor, for example if you feel faint or dizzy, have severe blisters, feel nauseous or have a high temperature.
Prevention is better than cure
- Use a product with a sunscreen of at least SPF 30 every day.
- Apply the product liberally to all parts of the body that will be exposed to the sun.
- Apply 15 to 20 minutes before going outside.
- Repeat this routine regularly, especially if you are outside a lot, perspiring or if you have been swimming.
Avez-vous besoin d'aide pour trouver les produits qui conviennent à votre type de peau ? Notre équipe du Service Consommateur, composée d'experts produits et soin de la peau, est là pour vous aiguiller vers la plus belle peau de votre vie.